Monday, September 2, 2013

My Subversion Experience

I'm not too familiar with command line executions in windows, so you can imagine that getting started with subversion was a little difficult. After downloading subversion 1.7 from the website and extracting the zip file, I was sadly distraught not to find an "install" file to make my life easy. I read some quick start tutorials on the website and couldn't seem to find a straight answer on how to really get started. Luckily, I read that if you are unfamiliar with command line executions, there are several gui clients available online for free and you need only search for them. So, I Googled "svn gui client" and ended downloading the top one from the list: SmartSVN. This is a super easy and intuitive program to use. Extract the download file (that they email you) and use the setup file. While setting up, it asked if I wanted help setting up a repository, or already had on set up. I chose the later option, as we have a class repository. After installation was finished, it asked for the repository location. I simply copy/pasted the url for our class repository, and it found it and asked for my login and password. After inputting my password, created a local directory of our playground repository on my machine. All I had to then do was create a new folder, called "Wooton", within windows. I added a txt file as well, which only contained the text "Test Doc". These changes showed up in the GUI client and I was then able to use the "commit" button at the top to basically add my local changes to the repository and thus, my directory was created. I refreshed the website and sure enough, my name and txt file showed up, yay! So, my svn directory is from now on https://svn.cs.cofc.edu/repos/CSCI362201301/playground/Wooton/. That wasn't so bad, yeah?

No comments:

Post a Comment