Tuesday, January 14, 2014

First Impressions

My FOSS Preferences

Plainly, my top three FOSS projects choices are Audacity, Firefox, and Filezilla.

     I'm excited to get started this semester for several reasons. For one, I stopped working so much. I'm only working probably 2 nights a week, 3 tops, and I only have job instead of three. I should have much more time to commit to school, which is exactly what I want. Last semester is probably the worst semester I've had at College of Charleston.
     The second reason is that my group seems very excited and ambitious. I've had classes with John before, and he's a great teammate as well as really smart. Stephen and Matt also seem like great guys. When we were discussing which projects to choose, Matt through out the idea of Audacity and immediately, Stephen was stoked. Apparently he is big into audio processing on his own - he's got an idea of writing a plugin that would fill a big need that he says hasn't been done before, or at least to his knowledge. Working on Audacity also tailors to my interests. I have a pretty large musical background. I was in choir all through middle, high school, and a couple years in college as well. I taught myself how to play the guitar in high school and have been playing off and on since. I can read music, although not fluently, given time I can figure it out. Another great thing about this project is that if we succeed, Stephen says we could make money off of it, which would be awesome and a great resume builder.

     Some of the resources for the reading today was pretty familiar to me. Everyone knows what wikis and blogs are, but I had to look up planets. It's basically a feed aggregator which displays posts from other web-blogs and internet communities on a separate new webpage. I'm also familiar with listsrvs. As I work at the helpdesk, there are several times I've dealt with them. Sometimes, when people graduate, they're email is still on the enrolled student listsrv, so they still get emails even after they've graduated. There's also listsrvs for department faculty, all faculty, certain student body groups, among many others. They are incredibly useful when trying to communicate to a group of people.

No comments:

Post a Comment